Without question, these black bean burgers are one of my favourite recipes, which is annoying because I can’t take credit for them. My man managed to pull this one together from scratch in about 10 minutes when we were ravenous one evening, a feat which would infuriate most food bloggers because we spend HOURS in the kitchen testing recipes. Although I tweaked it, he basically got it spot on first time. Annoying, but I’m glad he did as it’s truly delicious!
Following both a vegan and gluten-free diet, I’m often unable to eat burgers in restaurants. On the occasions that I can, I’ve found that a lot of vegan gluten-free options are rubbery and tasteless. There are some good burgers available to buy, but generally they are expensive. I usually scan the ingredients on the package, think ‘I could make that’, go home and then don’t make it because it seems like too much effort. Not so with these black bean burgers!
A note on ingredients
This recipe is EASY and inexpensive because the main ingredient is black beans. The most complex part of it is gathering the ingredients. I usually have all ten in my kitchen, but if you don’t cook with these ingredients regularly then you may need to go shopping. Supermarkets will sell most of them, and any remaining should be available in your local health food store.
Aside from being really easy to make, black bean burgers are a winner because they taste great and are a high quality source of protein and iron. They are filling and provide a good energy boost. One tip: ensure you follow the instructions and leave the mixture to set for 15 minutes. This allows the ground flax to expand and stick everything together. It basically means your burgers will stay solid and won’t crumble when frying!
Easiest Black Bean Burgers (vegan + gluten-free)
- 1½ cups cooked, drained black beans
- 2 tbsp brown rice or chickpea flour (You can sub regular flour if you’re not gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1½ tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tbsp Braggs Soy Seasoning or tamari
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning or mixed herbs
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Black pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender/food processor and puree until smooth.
- Alternatively, mash all ingredients in a bowl by hand.
- Set aside for 15 minutes to allow the flax to bind the mixture.
- Shape mixture into two burgers.
- Add a small amount of olive or avocado oil to a frying pan and heat on medium.
- Gently fry the burgers for 5 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Serve on burger buns with your favourite salad or garnishes – mine are tomato, cucumber and beet slices, salad leaves, purple cabbage, alfalfa sprouts and homemade guacamole.
Enjoyed this Black Bean Burger recipe? If you love comfort food, I have some more ideas for you! Try my Smoky Eggplant Bean Burger with Garlic Mayo, my Vegan Butter Spice Tofu, or my Herby Duchess Potatoes.