This Quick Parsley, Pea & Tomato Pasta recipe basically does what it says on the tin. It’s a quick, tasty and nutritious mid-week pasta meal that takes approximately 20 minutes to prepare. The lovely thing about this pasta is that it’s satisfying – mainly because it’s quick to make yet also delicious.
The part I really love though is that this Parsley, Pea & Tomato Pasta is a great way to get fresh vegetables into your diet without noticing you’re eating them raw! Having a mandoline (I know, I keep talking about my mandoline, I’m in love) really makes a difference here. It slices the zucchini/courgette really finely, so it folds into the pasta and doesn’t taste like you’re crunching down on raw vegetables. If you have a mandoline – great! If you don’t, just slice or grate the zucchini as thinly as possible.
Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
One word here about garlic-infused olive oil. It’s really easy to make your own and I highly recommend doing it as it tastes incredible. It’s a great way to get the taste of garlic into food when you don’t have time to crush some cloves, or want to add a more subtle flavour to a dish. There’s a great recipe for infusing olive oil with garlic here.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to heat the oil, you can try this method. Crush several cloves of garlic into an airtight glass jar (the more you use, the stronger the flavour). Fill the jar with extra virgin olive oil and seal it. Your oil will infuse in about a day. It will keep for several weeks in the cupboard, and is great on salads and pasta.
Quick Parsley, Pea and Tomato Pasta (vegan + gluten-free)
- 2 heaped cups dry gluten-free pasta (I like brown rice penne, but feel free to use whatever you like and use regular pasta if you're not gluten-free)
- ½ cup parsley, chopped finely
- 18 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ⅔ cup peas (If frozen, steam for one minute before use)
- ⅔ cup cooked and drained white beans, such as navy or haricot beans
- 3 inch piece of courgette/zucchini, sliced into very thin strips with a mandoline or sharp knife
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan according to package instructions (rice pasta usually takes about 10 minutes in boiling water).
- While the pasta is cooking, cut and prepare the vegetables as instructed above.
- Remove the pasta from the heat, drain, rinse and place back in the warm saucepan.
- Add the parsley, tomatoes, peas, beans, courgette and garlic oil and toss everything together.
- Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper, and serve immediately.