These Coconut and Goji Energy Bites have been my go-to snack for the past few days. I’ve been exercising in the evening and have wanted something to snack on when I get home that isn’t too sweet but is full of protein, good fats, vitamins and minerals. As usual, I ended up throwing a load of ingredients into the blender to see what happened and this is the result! A semi-sweet energy bar that is sustaining and creamy while also being really good for you due to the goji berries, hemp, pumpkin seeds and coconut.
You’re welcome to add maple syrup (or your sweetener of choice) to the mixture if you like. I actually eat the bars without any syrup in at all because I don’t like a lot of sweetness, but I would only recommend doing this if you’re used to foods tasting less sweet and prefer it. It can be a bit of a shock otherwise!
Coconut and Goji Energy Bites (vegan + gf)
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup almonds
- ⅓ cup goji berries
- ⅓ cup hulled hemp seeds
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder or extract
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp coconut butter/manna
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, coconut nectar or agave nectar
- ½ tsp Powdered maca
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Lucuma
- ½ tsp Ginger
- Blend the pumpkin seeds, almonds and goji berries together until a fairly coarse flour is formed.
- Add them to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the hemps seeds, shredded coconut, vanilla and salt and mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add in the coconut oil, coconut butter, maple syrup and optional ingredients (if using) and mix everything together thoroughly with your hands.
- Turn the mixture out onto a baking tray or the bottom of a large tupperware (it doesn’t need to be lined – the oil from the mixture should stop it sticking) and press it down evenly all over into a 1cm layer.
- Score the mixture into 9 pieces with a flat knife.
- Freeze the mixture for about 25 minutes until bites are solid, then remove and prise them off the tray/tupperware using a flat knife.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer or fridge for up to a week.