Sometimes it’s all about the simple things. When baking a cake is too daunting or making dessert too complicated, you have to whip out these Hazelnut Cacao Goji Energy Balls. These little balls of goodness are tasty, nutritious and quick to make. Great as a snack or as a dessert, they satisfy sweet cravings while also giving you a dose of nutrients. Cacao, goji berries and hemp seeds are all rich in vitamins and minerals and taste amazing. You don’t even need a food processor to make these, although it’s simpler to make the recipe with one. (If you don’t have one you will need a blender for the nuts and dates.) I love that you can mix everything together in one bowl for this recipe which minimises the washing up!
I’m a big fan of making a batch of these Hazelnut Cacao Goji Energy Balls at the start of the week and taking them to work as a snack, or just having them on hand to munch on when I get a craving for something sweet and satisfying. They taste really chocolatey and delicious which in my opinion, when mixed with hazelnuts is a definite winner! They will last for about 4-5 days if kept in the fridge in a container, and can be frozen.
Hazelnut Cacao Goji Energy Balls (vegan + gluten-free)
- 1 heaped cup hazelnuts
- 18 pitted dates (if you have large medjool dates, use 10)
- ⅓ cup goji berries (or raisins if you don’t have them)
- ⅓ cup shelled hemp seeds
- ½ cup raw cacao or cocoa powder
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ tsp raw vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp water
- Using a dry frying pan or skillet, lightly toast the hazelnuts on the stovetop on a low heat until golden brown.
- If you have a food processor: add all ingredients to it and pulse together until a sticky mixture forms.
- If not: add the hazelnuts to a blender and blend on a low speed until they are chopped into small pieces.
- Do the same separately with the dates, then add all ingredients to a bowl and knead together with your hands until a sticky mixture forms.
- Shape the mixture into 4cm-wide balls, and store in a sealed container in the fridge until required. It’s that easy!