Working from home, I often get a major case of the mid-afternoon hunger pangs. I always end up wanting something sweet, and sometimes reach for snacks that are less than healthy. Whilst I have no problem with the occasional indulgence, it’s nice to know that what you’re putting in your body is whole food goodness, and is going to boost your energy, not send you into a sugar slump! These Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Dates do just that.
This creation was inspired by Delicious Ella’s app recipe for some similar peanut butter-stuffed dates. Ella shared an image of them on her Instagram page last week and that was it: I couldn’t stop thinking about making my own version. After a little trial and error (such a tough life being a food blogger), I’ve perfected these. They use a handful of ingredients and are made from whole foods – dates, cacao, coconut oil and peanut butter. I think they’re absolutely delicious and have been making them on repeat since last week. They’re the perfect snack because not only do they satisfy that mid-afternoon sweet craving, but the protein and fat fill you up and actually boost your energy. Win!
A note on ingredients
You may notice that chocolate in these Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Dates doesn’t include any sweetener. This is because I honestly think the dates are more than sweet enough on their own. You’re welcome to add a little maple syrup or agave to the chocolate if you like, but I think you’ll find it makes the snack too sweet.
You’re welcome to use smaller, non-medjool dates for this recipe if that’s what you have. However, you may find the recipe a bit more fiddly with smaller dates. Also, remember to adjust the amount of peanut butter you stuff them with accordingly.
If you prefer to use another nut butter to peanut butter, go ahead and try it! I’m sure this recipe will work well with any kind of nut butter.
Finally, note that these dates need to be stored in the fridge. Due to the chocolate’s coconut oil content, it will melt at room temperature so keep the dates cool! (If you’d prefer dates that won’t melt so quickly, substitute the coconut oil for cocoa butter instead.)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Dates (vegan & gf)
- ¼ cup cacao or cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 20 medjool dates
- ⅓ cup (heaped) peanut butter
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. (This step is important to ensure the dates don't stick to the tray!)
- To make the chocolate, add the cacao powder and coconut oil to a small saucepan and heat VERY gently on the stove over the lowest possible temperature.
- When the coconut oil is melted and the two ingredients are combined, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Slice open each of the dates and spoon roughly just under 1 tsp of peanut butter into the middle of each.
- Dip each one in the melted chocolate mixture and place on the baking tray.
- Freeze the dates for approximately 15 minutes, or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Remove the dates from the freezer, and dip each one in the chocolate again, returning them to the baking tray (you may need to use a spoon to cover the dates in chocolate as you'll be running low by this point).
- If you have any chocolate left over, drizzle it over the dates!
- Freeze them for another 15 minutes until hardened, then serve!
- Store any uneaten chocolate-covered dates in the fridge.