Healthy Mexican Bowls with Salsa (vegan & gluten-free)
These Healthy Mexican Bowls with Salsa are the perfect weekday meal. Protein-packed but also filled with veg, they're ideal for work lunches and meal prep.
Prep Time25 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 people
- Juice of one small lemon
- 6 tbsp avocado, olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp coconut yoghurt (or your favourite unsweetened plant-based yoghurt)
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice (I used long grain)
- 1 heaped cup chopped leafy greens (I used a combination of spinach and romaine lettuce, but anything works)
- ½ cup yellow pepper, diced into small pieces
- ½ heaped cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if from a can
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ⅔ cup smoked tofu, cut into 1cm cubes
- ½ an avocado, sliced thinly
- ½ cup your favourite salsa
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla chips
If using the Smokey Dressing, first make it by adding all dressing ingredients to a mason/jam jar. With the lid on tightly, shake the jar vigorously for 30 seconds. Set aside.
Prepare all bowl ingredients as instructed above.
Assemble the bowls by adding each ingredient in a row next to each other.
If not using the dressing, spoon the salsa all over the bowls so that it coats the ingredients. If using dressing, drizzle all over the bowls. (If you're preparing these bowls as packed lunches, store the dressing in a separate container until ready to eat, to avoid soggy food!)
Serve with wedges of lime and enjoy!