It seems like everyone is jumping on the chia cereal bandwagon these days, and not without good reason. I’ve yet to see another breakfast option that is as quick, nutritious and easy to make as this is. You literally mix the ingredients together and leave them to soak. When combined with the fact that you can customise it to your own preferences, this makes it a winner! It's a great combination of healthy fats, carbohydrates, fibre, protein and vitamins.
This Chocolatey Pecan Chia Cereal recipe was created by combining some of my favourite toppings. I love using cacao beans or nibs for a burst of rich flavour alongside berries to add sweetness and colour, and nuts to add crunch. Coconut adds some delicious fattiness to the mixture and gives it a nice creamy taste. The banana adds sweetness and a nice colour contrast.
Chocolatey Pecan Chia Cereal - Ingredient Substitutions
I love that you can play with the ingredients in this recipe. It means that there are endless flavour combinations and you won't get bored of eating the same thing for breakfast each morning! Feel free to try your own favourite combinations of toppings if pecan and cacao don't work for you. Other great options include blueberries, toasted hazelnuts, almond butter and cinnamon.
You'll see that I've also noted some ingredient substitutions in this Chocolatey Pecan Chia Cereal recipe below (in brackets). Things like goji berries and pumpkin seeds can be prohibitively expensive so I've listed alternatives to both. Sunflower seeds are extremely cheap and just as good for you as pumpkin seeds, albeit slightly different nutritionally. While raisins don't have the same nutritional profile as gojis, they're vastly less expensive and provide iron and fibre. Have fun getting creative and making your own cereal!
Chocolatey Pecan Chia Cereal (vegan & gluten-free)
- ¼ cup buckwheat groats (or ground flax seed)
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds)
- ¼ cup goji berries (or raisins)
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- 1½ cups almond or hemp milk
Optional - for sweetness
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ cup raspberries
- 3 tbsp cacao nibs or cacao beans
- 12 pecan halves
- 2 tbsp toasted coconut
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Divide the mixture between two cereal bowls, add almond milk (and maple syrup, if using) and whisk.
- Set aside for at least 15 minutes (stirring regularly) to allow the chia to expand.
- Add toppings and enjoy!
- Don’t worry if you don’t have all of these toppings – the beauty of this cereal is that you can customize it and make it your own. Try adding any seeds, fruits, superfoods and nut butters you love. Get creative and go with your instincts. Food is all about enjoyment after all!