Looking for a low sugar dessert? These delicious vegan and gluten-free no-bake chocolate hazelnut freezer cookies are sugar-free and delicious.
Oh gosh, how I love chocolate.
There's just something about it - the bitterness, the creaminess, that satisfying texture that you can't quite describe.
I've been following an anti-Candida diet lately and at first was struggling to find any sweet treats. (Although there are various versions, most anti-Candida diets eliminate nearly all sugars and carbs, making baking a real challenge.)
Eventually I knuckled down and spent an evening in the kitchen blending up various ingredients to see what happened. The result was my delectable 3 Ingredient Sugar Free Chocolate.
Finally, really craving something 'biscuity' I came up with these no-bake Chocolate Hazelnut Freezer Cookies. And let me tell you, they are GOOD.
Chocolate and hazelnut are a delicious combination and in my opinion aren't used often enough together.
The coconut butter and goji berries combine to add light sweetness, while not being high in sugar. (Although if you're unrestricted in your sugar intake and prefer a sweeter cookie, I recommend adding a tablespoon of maple syrup to the mix.)
The almonds are an excellent slightly sweet base for the cookies, while the shredded coconut adds delicious texture.
Finally, the chocolate drizzle - while not sweet - adds decadence to the cookies that makes them feel like a treat.
A NOTE ON INGREDIENTS
You might think I've used an unusual combination of ingredients here.
Because of my dietary limitations right now I have to avoid things like maple syrup, oats and raisins, so I use more unusual ingredients to sweeten my recipes.
I am well aware that the above-mentioned are cheaper than the coconut butter, almonds and goji berries used in this recipe, so please feel free to substitute them if you prefer.
They will change the taste of the cookies a bit but they'll still be delicious!
MORE LOW SUGAR DESSERTS
3 Ingredient Sugar-Free Chocolate
Chocolate Hazelnut Freezer Cookies (vegan & gluten-free)
- ¾ cup almonds
- 2 tablespoon cocoa or cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence or raw vanilla powder
- ¼ cup goji berries
- 2 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoon coconut butter
- 2 tablespoon hazelnut butter
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 teaspoon coconut butter
- 1½ tablespoon coconut oil
- Place the almonds in a blender and puree until a coarse flour is formed.
- Add to a large mixing bowl with the rest of the dry ingredients and vanilla essence. Give this mixture a quick stir with a large spoon to combine ingredients.
- Add in the coconut butter, hazelnut butter and coconut oil and use your hands to mix these into the dry ingredients.
- Give it a few minutes – you’ll find that the warmth of your hands starts to melt the oils and you’ll end up with a sticky dough.
- (Alternatively, if you'd prefer a less labour-intensive method, simply melt the coconut butter and coconut oil on the stove on a very low heat before mixing in.)
- Shape this dough into 6 or 7 balls and press them flat onto a baking sheet covered in baking parchment.
- Place the tray in the freezer while you complete the next step.
- For the chocolate drizzle, over the lowest stovetop heat possible in a small saucepan melt the coconut butter and coconut oil and add in the cacao/cocoa.
- Stir until you have a runny chocolate mixture and there are no lumps left.
- Remove the cookies from the freezer, and using a spoon drizzle the chocolate over them. (It gets messy but that’s what the baking parchment is for!)
- Return the cookies to the freezer for another 5-10 minutes and voila – they’re ready to eat.
- If you like a sweeter cookie, simply add in 1 teaspoon of maple syrup when you mix the nut butter/coconut oil/butter into the bowl.
- Store any uneaten cookies (ha!) in a container in the freezer – they will soften and melt if stored at room temperature.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!
Follow Vancouver with Love on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook!
Leave a Reply