It's summer! Well, almost. It's that time of year when the days are getting warmer and all you want to do is eat picnics outside in the sun.
I love picnic food and one of the staples of a good spread is the humble dip. Versatile, easy to make and really good for you, bean dips are an absolute essential to any outside feast. And this Healthy Hummus is no exception.
It tastes great and is a good simple dip to have in your repertoire. It's filling, protein-packed and ensures you're getting one of your daily portions of veg straight away from the chickpeas.
And I love how simple it is to make: simply throw all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blitz! (I do recommend reading my note on blenders at the bottom of the recipe however.) You can make a large batch and freeze it, or simply eat it all at once!
Healthy Hummus - a note on the recipe
Stuck for ideas on how to eat this Healthy Hummus? It's great to enjoy with your favourite crackers and raw veggies as part of a picnic spread. It's also a great addition to a vegan cheese board or spread on savoury vegan muffins.
You can also use it as a spread it in a sandwich with salad leaves, tomatoes and cucumber. If you're feeling a little more adventurous, why not try adding this Healthy Hummus as a salad topper or to a bowl of rice and veggies. It provides instant protein to any dish and will make them a bit more filling.
Feel absolutely free to adapt this recipe to suit your own tastes. Try adding fresh cilantro/coriander instead of parsley; try roasting the garlic before blending; or try using different spices. I really like using smoked paprika in my hummus because I love giving almost ANYTHING a smoky taste, but you're welcome to use regular paprika if that's not your thing. Have fun and enjoy!
Healthy Hummus (vegan & gluten-free)
- 4 cups chickpeas (cooked, or drained if from a can)
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp avocado oil/ olive oil
- 2 medium lemons juiced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- Add all ingredients except the parsley to a food processor or blender.
- Blend the mixture for about 1-2 minutes until it's combined but chunky. (If using a blender, you may need to use the tamper to push the mixture down, or stop the blender and scrape the sides down every so often.)
- Add more salt and spices if required, and add the parsley into the food processor/blender. Blend for another minute or so, until it is combined but still visible.
- Serve with your favourite crudités and crackers for a delicious but healthy summer snack!
- This hummus will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4-5 days. If you have extra, I recommend freezing it in tupperware. When you're ready to use it, simply remove from the freezer and allow to defrost for several hours.