These Healthy Vegan Burrito Bowls are the perfect quick weekday meal. Protein-packed and delicious, they're ideal for work lunches and meal prep.
I'm always on the hunt for easy dinner or lunch recipes. Few of us have endless time to spend in the kitchen and we want recipes that nourish us with minimal effort.
So whether you're looking for packed lunches to take to work or simply a dinner you can grab from the fridge and eat as soon as you get home, these Healthy Vegan Burrito Bowls are ideal.
Taking just 25 minutes to prepare (if you've already cooked your rice), you'll have a meal in no time! They're packed with lots of plant protein and multi-coloured veggies as well, so you can be sure you're getting a good mix of nutrients.
I really like making double the quantity of these bowls (4 portions). I store them in tupperware in the fridge for weekday lunches, so I'm never caught out and always have a meal on hand! The dish stores really well for a few days as the ingredients are so fresh and mainly raw.
Enjoy your new-found sense of productivity from having prepped your weekly meals in advance!
HEALTHY VEGAN BURRITO BOWLS - NOTES
Variations - These burrito bowls are really delicious as they are, but feel free to add in/substitute your favourite ingredients if you wish. Some ideas for optional extras include grated vegan cheese, sweet corn, cilantro and vegan sour cream.
Dressing - The Smoky Dressing recipe I've included below is totally optional. I think it goes really well with the bowls, but if you're in a hurry and need to shave 5-10 minutes off the recipe time you could just as easily use extra salsa as a dressing instead. It works really well with the ingredients and adds a nice moistness to the dish.
Similarly, if you have your own favourite dressing recipe go ahead and use it. I would just caution however that these homemade burrito bowls work best with a creamier dressing, so avoid vinaigrettes etc. As always, get creative and have fun!
MORE HEALTHY VEGAN DINNER RECIPES
Healthy Vegan Burrito Bowls (gluten-free)
Smoky Dressing (optional)
- Juice of one small lemon
- 6 tablespoon avocado, olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoon coconut yoghurt (or your favourite unsweetened plant-based yoghurt)
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice (I used long grain)
- 1 heaped cup chopped leafy greens (I used a combination of spinach and romaine lettuce, but anything works)
- ½ cup yellow pepper, diced into small pieces
- ½ heaped cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if from a can
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ⅔ cup smoked tofu, cut into 1cm cubes
- ½ an avocado, sliced thinly
- ½ cup your favourite salsa
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla chips
- If using the Smoky Dressing, first make it by adding all dressing ingredients to a mason/jam jar. With the lid on tightly, shake the jar vigorously for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Prepare all bowl ingredients as instructed above.
- Assemble the bowls by adding each ingredient in a row next to each other.
- If not using the dressing, spoon the salsa all over the bowls so that it coats the ingredients. Otherwise, drizzle the dressing all over the bowls. (If you're preparing these bowls as packed lunches, store the dressing in a separate container until ready to eat, to avoid soggy food!)
- Serve with wedges of lime and enjoy!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!