Quick, nourishing weeknight meals are a must for any new vegan this Veganuary. This Creamy Broccoli & Mushroom Pasta is the ideal warming dish for a cold winter evening.
Sometimes it can be hard to find dinner inspiration. You feel like you're stuck making the same four dishes over and over, and just generally wish you had a few more ideas for quick but delicious meals. I've definitely felt this way, but I'm here to tell you that making yummy, nutritious dinners doesn't need to be difficult! Take this Creamy Broccoli & Mushroom Pasta - it's made with 8 ingredients and contains four varieties of veg. It also tastes completely delicious as it's so creamy and garlicky.
I've made this recipe multiple times over the last two weeks because I love the simplicity of it! It's basically a one-pot dish (aside from the pasta) and takes just 30 minutes to make total. Looking for more protein? Feel free to add in beans for an extra boost in addition to the mushrooms. Enjoy!
Creamy Broccoli & Mushroom Pasta - A Note on Ingredients
I choose to use gluten-free brown rice pasta because I prefer to eat a mostly gluten-free diet. Feel free to swap this out for regular pasta however if you prefer - it won't make any difference to the recipe. If you'd like to make this broccoli and mushroom pasta recipe a bit lighter, try using raw zucchini/courgette noodles instead - they'll still taste great but will feel less heavy and add more nutrients!
Try to use full fat coconut milk if you can - it will make the pasta much creamier. Low fat coconut milk can make the dish watery so I wouldn't recommend it!
Creamy Broccoli & Mushroom Pasta (vegan & gluten-free)
- 2 heaped cups uncooked brown rice pasta (you are welcome to use regular instead if you'd prefer)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 cremini or chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 heaped cup small broccoli florets
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 4 medium kale leaves, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup white or Romano beans
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions (about 10 mins). When cooked, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large pan heat the olive oil on a medium heat and gently sauté the garlic for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to sauté for 4 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the coconut milk, broccoli, frozen peas and beans (if using) to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat slightly and allow it to bubble gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and parsley (if using), and leave to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the cooked pasta and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately in large bowls.
If you’ve tried this Creamy Broccoli & Mushroom Pasta recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I love to know how you’ve made these recipes your own!