This Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is a paid partnership with Manitoba Milling Company. All views and opinions expressed are my own.
Be kind to me. This week I’m attempting to tackle a comfort food classic and not only veganize it, but make it a little bit healthier. That’s right, you can eat mac and cheese and get your nutrients at the same time!
I’ve been meaning to add a mac and cheese recipe to this blog for so long, so when Manitoba Milling Company suggested a collaboration using their Unsweetened Milled Whole Seed Flax Beverage, I jumped at the chance!
I hadn’t tried flax milk before, and I can honestly say I’ve been really impressed by it. It’s fantastic in sauces, hot drinks and baking as it’s naturally quite thick and creamy. I can also speak from experience when I say that it’s great on cereal too!
I also particularly love that Manitoba Milling’s non-GMO Flax Beverage is made with the highest quality whole milled flaxseed (produced by the Pizzey family on their farm in Manitoba), so you get all the benefits of eating flax such as omega-3, protein and fibre to name a few. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that unlike many other plant milks, this one definitely isn’t watered down – it has a rich flax taste!
Vegan Mac and Cheese with Collard Greens – the Recipe
This recipe is a very simple one to make, and is ideal for easy weeknight dinners or moments when you just want comfort food. It provides 2 portions of vegetables per serving and is full of protein and fibre.
I know we all have different ingredients available right now, so I want you to feel free to adapt this recipe as you need to, particularly when it comes to the fresh produce. If you don’t have any collard greens, go ahead and use kale, chard or even spinach. If you don’t have any butternut squash, try using yams or sweet potato instead!
All other ingredients in this recipe are pantry essentials, so hopefully they’re ones you already have on hand and won’t require an extra shopping trip to buy. So get cosy, whip up a quick batch of this Vegan Mac and Cheese, and dig in!
Vegan Mac and Cheese with Collard Greens (gluten-free)
- 1 heaped cup butternut squash, cut into 1½cm cubes
- ½ cup cashews or sunflower seeds (soaked overnight if preferred - soaking helps the nuts/seeds to blend more easily if your blender isn't high-powered)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup Manitoba Milling Company Unsweetened Milled Whole Seed Flax Beverage
- 2 tbsp avocado/olive oil or vegan butter
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup collard greens (or chard), shredded thinly
- 2 cups gluten-free macaroni, uncooked
For the sauce
- Steam butternut squash for about 10 minutes or until tender and remove from the heat.
- Add this and all other cheese sauce ingredients to a high speed blender and blitz for about 1 minute, until the sauce is completely smooth. Set aside.
- Steam the collard greens for about 30 seconds on the stovetop, until wilted. Set aside.
- Cook the macaroni as per package instructions. Drain and rinse (if required) and pour back into the saucepan.
- On a low heat, add the cheese sauce and stir to coat the macaroni.
- Stir the collard greens into the mixture and allow it to heat gently for a few minutes, stirring regularly.
- When the mac and cheese is warm enough to eat, serve in large bowls and enjoy immediately!