I love breakfast, but I usually fail when it comes to making elaborate ones. I love the idea of taking the time to make it - but in practise usually end up hastily blending a smoothie as I run out the door. I have grand dreams of cooked breakfasts and pancakes but they don't often happen.
Not so with this Spiced Orange Maple Granola! It takes 30 minutes to make and you can bake it in advance to feed you for the week. I tend to eat it later in the morning as it's slightly too sweet for my tastes first thing. That said, it also makes a great snack or mid-morning pick-me-up.
Thanks to the mix of orange oil and spices, this Spiced Orange Maple Granola will make your kitchen smell like Christmas in a bowl, and tastes just as good. It's a mix of proteins, complex carbohydrates and good fats, with a small amount of natural sugar. All of which should mean your blood sugar levels don't crash after eating it. Enjoy!
Spiced Orange Maple Granola (vegan + gluten-free)
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup almonds
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup buckwheat groats
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ½ heaped tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp orange oil (optional)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 2 small oranges, sliced (naval or blood)
- Your favourite dairy-free yoghurt
- Maple Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F.
- Pulse the cashews and almonds very briefly in a blender until they are chopped.
- Add them to a large mixing bowl, along with the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, buckwheat groats, raisins, cinnamon, cloves, orange oil, avocado oil, maple syrup and salt.
- Mix well with a spoon until all ingredients are combined.
- Spread the granola on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, until the granola is just starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, before breaking it into pieces with your hands.
- Place ⅔ cup of granola into a bowl.
- Add ½ cup of your chosen yoghurt and garnish with orange slices.
- Drizzle over some maple syrup to finish and you’re good to go!