Smoky Eggplant Bean Burger & Garlic Mayo (vegan & gluten-free)
This stacked Smoky Eggplant Bean Burger with Garlic Mayo (vegan & gf) is layered with smoked eggplant slices and delicious garlic mayo to satisfy your comfort food cravings.
Servings: 2 people
For the garlic mayo
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp powdered mustard
- ¾-1 tsp salt (depending on taste)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup avocado, grapeseed or any other oil with a light flavour
For the smoky eggplant strips
- 1 small or ½ a medium eggplant/aubergine
- ½-1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Braggs Soy Seasoning or tamari
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive, avocado or grapeseed oil
For the burgers
- 2 Hilary's Adzuki Bean Burgers (or your favourite bean burgers if these aren't available where you live)
- 2 gluten-free sourdough burger buns
- red onion slices
- tomato slices
- lettuce leaves
To make the mayo
Add all mayo ingredients except the oil to a blender, and blend on low speed for approximately 5 seconds to combine.
Gradually add in the oil while the blender is churning (still on a low speed). If you have a Vitamix or similar you can add the oil through the hole in the top of the blender.
Once all the oil is added, continue to blend the mixture on low until the oil is mixed in and the mayo thickens (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
Remove the mayo from the blender and store in an airtight jar in the fridge until needed (it will naturally firm up a little more when it's cold).
To make the eggplant strips
Preheat a large frying pan or skillet on a medium heat.
Slice the eggplant into chunky flat strips no more than ½cm thick and approximately 10cm long.
Add the eggplant strips, along with the paprika, Bragg's, garlic powder and oil to a large bowl. Mix with your hands to evenly coat the eggplant strips with the seasoning.
Place the strips flat on the surface of the frying pan, and fry them for 3 minutes until browned on the underside.
Flip them over, brush the tops with more Bragg's/oil if needed and fry for another 3 minutes.
Remove from the heat and set aside.
To make the burgers
Cook the Hilary's Adzuki Bean Burgers as per package instructions.
Slice the burger buns in half, and spread smoky garlic mayo over the bottom halves.
Add lettuce leaves, then the burgers, spreading more mayo over the top.
Add the eggplant slices, red onion, tomato and finally the top halves of the burger buns.
Eat while hot and enjoy!
- Don't be tempted to substitute soy milk for any other kind of milk! The protein in the soy is what helps the mayo thicken. Almond milk etc. likely won't have the same effect.
- Avoid blending the mayo on a really high speed - this can cause the milk/oil mixture to curdle! Stick with a low setting.
- Make sure to use SMOKED paprika for the mayo and eggplant strips. If you just use regular you won't get that smoky taste.