After a weekend away in sunny San Diego it’s so good to be back in my own kitchen. As a food blogger I spend a LOT of time here and sometimes need to get away from it. Not having to cook for myself for a few days is bliss, and I always return from these trips fresh, with a new enthusiasm for cooking and bursting with ideas I want to try, such as this Simple Chickpea Fritter Bowl.
I returned from this trip realising that the reason I often get tired of cooking is that I overcomplicate it. I love elaborate meals, but even when I’m cooking something simple I can’t help adding extra touches and ingredients. This becomes time-consuming and sometimes exhausting! So going forward, I plan to create a larger amount of simpler recipes that still nourish the body and appetite but are easy to make for anyone who doesn’t have a lot of time to spare, including me.
This Simple Chickpea Fritter Bowl is just that! It’s delicious as well as being quick and simple to make, taking only 30 minutes to assemble. The fritters themselves are packed full of plant protein from the chickpeas and have a satisfying garlicky taste. You’ll get even more protein from the hummus, and one of these bowls will provide at least 3 of your 5-10 daily servings of fruit or veg. Yay! The bowls themselves taste fresh and flavourful, and make the perfect lunch or simple supper.
Simple Chickpea Fritter Bowl (vegan & gf)
For the chickpea fritters
- 1 398ml can chickpeas
- 4 spring/green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- ¼ tsp turmeric (for colour)
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil, plus more for oiling tray
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
For the bowls
- 1 packed cup spinach and arugula/rocket
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- Large scoop of your favourite hummus
- Pour the chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and knead with your hands until they're almost totally broken down (about 1 minute).
- Add in all other ingredients and continue to knead the mixture by hand until all ingredients are combined.
- Put the mixture aside for 10 minutes, so it can firm up. Meanwhile switch on your oven's grill/broiler and place a baking tray lightly coated with oil beneath it to warm.
- Form the chickpea mixture into 4 equal patties and place on the warmed baking tray.
- Grill the fritters for 4-6 minutes, until lightly browned on top.
- Flip the fritters and also add the cherry tomatoes to the baking tray. Grill everything for another 4-6 minutes, ensuring the tomatoes don't burn (they cook quickly!). Remove from the oven.
- To assemble the two bowls, create a base of spinach and rocket/arugula in each, and place the fritters on top. Add the cherry tomatoes and a scoop of your favourite hummus, and they're ready to eat!