These Easy Vegan Chickpea Fritter Bowls take just 30 minutes and 9 ingredients, and are perfect as a quick lunch or dinner. Completely gluten-free too.
After a weekend away in sunny San Diego it's so good to be back in my own kitchen. As a food blogger I spend a LOT of time here and (love my job as I do) sometimes I need a little break from it.
While I was away I realized that the reason I often get tired of cooking is that I overcomplicate it.
I love elaborate meals, but even when I'm cooking something simple I can't help adding extra touches and ingredients. This can easily become time-consuming and exhausting!
Not having to cook for myself for a few days while I was in California was absolute bliss, and I always return from these trips feeling refreshed, with a new enthusiasm for cooking. I'm also usually bursting with ideas I want to try in the kitchen.
Going forward, I plan to create lots of simpler recipes like these Easy Vegan Chickpea Fritter Bowls. These delicious bowls still nourish the body and appetite but are easy to make for anyone who doesn't have a lot of time to spare. Including me. 🙂
VEGAN CHICKPEA FRITTER BOWLS - RECIPE
As well as being quick and easy to make (just 30 minutes), these vegan chickpea fritters are utterly delicious. They're packed full of plant protein from the chickpeas and have a satisfying garlicky, yet fresh taste.
They're perfect for the summer months when you're looking for a lighter meal!
You’ll get even more protein from the hummus, and one of these bowls will provide at least 3 of your 7-10 daily servings of fruit and veg when you include the tomatoes and arugula too.
The bowls themselves taste fresh and flavourful, and make the perfect quick lunch or healthy supper.
MORE QUICK WEEKNIGHT DINNERS
Easy Vegan Chickpea Fritter Bowls (gluten-free)
For the chickpea fritters
- 1 398ml can chickpeas
- 4 spring/green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (for colour)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil, plus more for oiling tray
For the bowls
- 1 packed cup arugula/rocket or spinach leaves
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- Large scoop of your favourite hummus
- Pour the chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and knead with your hands until they're almost totally broken down (about 1 minute).
- Add in all other fritter ingredients and continue to knead the mixture by hand until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set the mixture aside for 10 minutes so it can firm up. Meanwhile switch on your oven's grill/broiler and place a baking tray lightly coated with oil beneath it to warm.
- Form the chickpea mixture into 4 equal patties and place on the warmed baking tray.
- Grill the fritters for 4-6 minutes, until lightly browned on top.
- Flip the fritters and also add the cherry tomatoes to the baking tray. Grill everything for another 4-6 minutes, ensuring the tomatoes don't burn (they cook quickly!). Remove from the oven.
- To assemble the two bowls, create a base of rocket/arugula or spinach leaves in each, and place the fritters on top. Add the cherry tomatoes and a scoop of your favourite hummus, and they're ready to eat!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!