I’ve made a lot of vegan chocolate mousses in my time. I’ve gone wrong by putting too much hemp seed (!) in, too much avocado, and too much cacao respectively. Each time I’ve been disappointed with the result, and then finally with this avocado chocolate mousse I hit on the perfect combination! It’s delicious – really rich and dark, with a satisfying creamy texture. It’s the perfect romantic dessert for two (or if you’re like me you can just scoff the whole lot yourself).
The secret ingredient, I discovered, is really, really good quality coconut milk. I can’t stress how important the quality of the milk is. Not all coconut milks are created equal and you want one that separates into cream and water when chilled in the fridge. For this recipe you’ll need to refrigerate the can for a few hours – then simply scoop the hardened cream off the top to use and save the water for drinking or smoothies. I’ve done my research on different coconut milks – please take my advice when I say to buy the best you can afford!
One note – this chocolate avocado mousse is delicious, but I wouldn’t recommend eating it every day, as it’s so fatty. They’re good, whole food fats, but it isn’t a great idea to eat massive quantities all the time. I couldn’t stop myself the first time I made it and ate the entire thing! My stomach was not happy.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse (vegan & gluten-free)
- ½ medium-sized avocado
- ¾ cup cup of coconut milk (only only the hardened cream from the chilled can for this recipe – see instructions above)
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean powder or vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, agave or coconut nectar
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender with a tamper (the big plastic stick that you can push ingredients down with - a Vitamix or similar will have this).
- Blend the mixture for about 1 minute, until it is smooth and lump-free. (You will likely need to use the tamper to keep pushing the mixture down, and may need to scrape the sides of the blender down halfway through with a spatula). Keep at it! It will turn to a smooth mousse.
- Spoon the chocolate mousse into two serving dishes and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Decorate the top with any of the following if you wish: berries, grated chocolate, cacao nibs, shredded coconut, cinnamon or orange peel.