This simple Blueberry Breakfast Parfait is the perfect meal to start your day. It's gluten-free, refined sugar-free and takes minutes to make!
You may have heard me mention once or twice that I love berries. Picking them, eating them, cooking with them: l love it all. They’re one of my favourite foods, and blueberries are no exception.
However, until I moved to Canada I hadn’t really eaten blueberries much. More of a delicacy in the UK, I love that in North America they grow freely. I’ve even found wild ones growing on mountains here!
Wherever you get them from, they’re absolutely delicious and come with a whole host of health benefits. Full of antioxidants and beneficial for heart health, blueberries also contain vitamin C, fibre and potassium.
They’re one of the sweetest, most versatile berries you can use in cooking and I just loving using them.
BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST PARFAIT - THE RECIPE
This Blueberry Breakfast Parfait was a pleasure to create and I’ll be making it regularly for breakfast in future. It's an incredibly easy recipe and takes literally minutes to make, ideal when you don't have much time.
Sweetened only with the blueberries themselves, it comprises layers of granola, coconut yoghurt and blueberry compote.
If you’ve not made a compote before - it’s surprisingly easy. Simply simmer the blueberries in a pan on a low heat for 10 minutes, and you’re done! It’s as easy as that.
You’re welcome to use your favourite granola for this parfait. Any granola works well, but try not to buy one with an overwhelming flavour (like pineapple for example).
MORE QUICK VEGAN BREAKFASTS
Blueberry Breakfast Parfait (vegan & gluten-free)
- 1⅓ cups coconut or soy yoghurt
- 1⅓ cups granola
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries, plus more for decorating
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- Heat the 1½ cups of blueberries in a saucepan on the stovetop on a medium/low heat.
- Heat until they are bubbling gently for about 10-15 minutes, or until the berries have completely broken down and you’re left with a thick sauce. Removed from the heat and allow to cool. Add maple syrup to sweeten if so desired (you may not need it).
- To assemble the parfait, divide half the yoghurt between two glass jars.
- On top of this, divide half the blueberry compote between the two jars, forming a second
layer. Repeat this process with the granola.
- Repeat this process once more with the yoghurt, blueberry compote and granola - using them all up - forming six layers in each glass jar.
- Add some fresh blueberries to the top of the parfait for decoration, and serve.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!
Follow Vancouver with Love on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook!
Can this be made a day ahead ?
You can, the granola just might go a bit soggy if left in the yoghurt overnight. You can definitely make the blueberry compote a day ahead though to cut down on prep time - just store in a sealed container in the fridge! 🙂