This delicious Cheesy Vegan Popcorn is the perfect movie snack. Made with nutritional yeast and smoked paprika, it's quick to make and delish!
If you've recently turned vegan, you'll know how frustrating it can be not eating the same snacks you used to love.
For me, savoury snacks were my favourite foods and I found it tough giving up those that contained dairy.
Therefore when I first turned vegan, I started making this popcorn as a substitute for all the snacks I loved. Pretty soon I couldn't stop! It's delicious: savoury, salty and creamy. It's rich without being heavy, and flavourful without being overpowering. The perfect combination!
I make this Cheesy Vegan Popcorn as a movie night snack, or for evenings when we're having friends over. The Healthful Ideas inspired this recipe with her own cheesy popcorn, which I loved but wanted to make my own version of.
Minimal effort - This recipe requires minimal effort: simply mix the seasoning together, pop the corn and go! It's a great alternative to store-bought popcorn as it's really cheap to make and contains healthier ingredients.
Low salt - I always find store-bought too salty - and with this recipe, you can control that yourself.
Dairy free - This Cheesy Vegan Popcorn is exactly that - vegan. Therefore please don't expect it to taste just the same as dairy cheese. Whilst it does have a really delicious savoury taste, it's not exactly the same as eating cheddar!
Nutritional yeast - The cheesy flavour comes from the nutritional yeast used in this recipe. If you're vegan you probably know this ingredient well as it's a staple in many dishes! It has a savoury, cheesy flavour and is often used to flavour vegan snacks. You can find it in most health food stores, and many supermarkets now sell it too.
MORE SAVOURY VEGAN SNACKS
Cheesy Vegan Popcorn
- Large saucepan with lid
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or vegan butter
- ⅓ cup popping corn kernels
- In a small bowl, mix together the nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan with a lid, heat the coconut oil on a medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add three of the popping corn kernels to the pan, put the lid back on and shake it (using oven gloves - it gets hot!).
- When you can hear that the kernels have popped, remove the lid and scoop them out with a spoon.
- Add the rest of the corn kernels to the pan, replace the lid and shake vigorously.
- Wait for them to pop, shaking the pan every 5-8 seconds to stop any popcorn burning.
- When there is a break of about 6 seconds between the popping, remove the pan from the heat. (Accept that you won't have popped all the corn - it's just the way it goes!)
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the popcorn while still in the pan, then place the pan lid back on and shake vigorously to combine popcorn and seasoning.
- Pour into a large bowl and enjoy!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!