Looking for a vegan post run smoothie recipe? Look no further - below I'm sharing my favourite easy 5 Minute Post Workout Smoothie. You'll love it!
I've been getting really into running recently. Having always hated it, this has been a revelation to me. I'm not sure what changed: maybe it was me, or maybe it was my surroundings. One thing's for certain however: I woke up one morning a few months ago and just wanted to run. It was an inexplicable urge.
I had no idea where to start or how to do it properly, I just knew I wanted to do it. Straight away I researched running techniques and best practises on Runner's World, downloaded an exercise timer app and off I went.
The one thing it took me some time to get to grips with however was how to refuel post-exercise. I learned pretty quickly that I need to eat about 20 minutes after a run in order to avoid the dreaded energy slump later in the day, but didn't know what.
After yet more googling I discovered that smoothies are the perfect post-run fuel, so set about creating my own. This 5 Minute Post Workout Smoothie is the result, and I'm really pleased with it. I make it every time I run and it really helps energise me to power through the day. Hopefully you'll find it useful too!
5 Minute Post Workout Smoothie - A note on ingredients
I LOVE the combination of ingredients in this smoothie. Altogether they make a really creamy, satisfying and deliciously sweet drink. There's:
1) Banana to provide quick energy and sweetness
2) Seeds and nuts to provide good quality fats
3) Shredded coconut to replenish electrolytes, as well as provide minerals and dietary fibre.
4) Good quality protein powder to sustain energy levels and improve recovery
Feel free to add your own favourite ingredients to this 5 Minute Post Workout Smoothie recipe. Some that work really well are berries, spinach, avocado and oats (for extra carbs). Go ahead and make it your own, and feel free to leave a comment telling me what combinations you've tried!
5 Minute Post Workout Smoothie (vegan & gluten-free)
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder (I like pumpkin or brown rice)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1¼ cups water or your favourite plant milk
- 2 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened natural coconut yoghurt
- 1 tsp maca powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp raw vanilla powder or essence
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blitz on high power for 30 seconds.
- Pour into a glass and drink immediately!