Just 6 ingredients and 20 minutes will give you this seriously warming Carrot, Ginger & Apple Soup. Perfect for a cosy lunch or dinner.
I make the mistake every year of assuming that once February hits, it's spring. Then we suddenly get to the middle of the month and it’s snowing, frosty and grey and I’m wondering what the heck I was thinking.
And that’s exactly what happened this year! As I type this, I’m sitting at my kitchen table in Vancouver with the heating cranked, watching the (quite pathetic, I’ll be honest) snowflakes gently fall outside as I nurse a cold.
It’s cold and grey and I for one am not prepared to let warming winter comfort food go just yet! I’m all about the soups right now, and this one came to me a few weeks ago when I was craving something cosy with a hint of sweetness.
Combining sweet carrots and apples with fiery ginger, this vegan soup takes just 20 minutes to make and will make you warm all over, whilst helping you to eat your daily quota of veggies (not always easy to do in the winter months!).
Carrot, Ginger & Apple Soup - Notes
If you want to make this soup even heartier than it is, feel free to add in a cubed potato to give it a little more body (and make it go further). Just note that you may need to adjust the amount of stock/water you use if you do this.
Don’t use too much ginger. About a 1½ inch piece is perfect for this soup – anymore and you’ll find it becomes very fiery!
As always, feel free to customize this recipe and add in any extra spices you’d like (cayenne gives it a kick), but the soup doesn’t need them. It has plenty of flavour as it is from the apple and ginger!
Carrot, Ginger & Apple Soup (vegan & gf)
- 1 lb carrots (ends trimmed and roughly chopped)
- 2 apples - I like using Granny Smiths (cored and roughly chopped - no need to peel)
- 1 small thumb ginger (roughly chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock/broth or water (if you use water, you'll likely need to season the soup with quite a bit more salt)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place carrots, apples, ginger, garlic and coriander powder into a large pot.
- Cover with vegetable stock or water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until carrot is tender.
- Season well with salt and pepper and transfer soup to a blender.
- Blend until smooth, reheat if needed and serve in large bowls with bread!
For more soup inspiration, I really recommend checking out Minimalist Baker's 12 Comforting Vegan Soups.
If you’ve tried this Carrot, Ginger & Apple Soup recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!