This delicious vegan sandwich is perfect if you're looking for healthy lunch ideas for work or simple picnic food. It's quick to make and protein-packed!
You've all been asking for a vegan sandwich recipe for ages, and I'm sorry it's taken me this long to post one! I like to test my recipes pretty thoroughly and this was no exception.
And do I have a good one for you today. This White Bean & Artichoke Vegan Sandwich recipe is perfect for quick lunches as it's so fast to make.
The spread is made from celery, artichokes and cannellini beans and tastes absolutely delicious as a fresh sandwich filling.
If you're looking for lunch ideas for work or vegan picnic food, this one is also great as it transports easily and is protein-packed to keep you powered up all through the day.
This delicious spread is satisfying as well as fresh and is perfect for those warmer months. I've taken to eating it straight out of the container as it tastes so good and savoury on its own!
Vegan sandwich ideas can be tough to find, which is exactly why I created this recipe. I wanted a sandwich filling that was both protein-rich and delicious, and wasn't just the standard hummus that we all rely on!
I think I've managed it with this sandwich, and am really happy with how well the flavours work together.
You've got the fresh crunchiness of celery with the smoothness of beans and the tangy flavour of artichokes. Flavoured with Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar, it's a delicious savoury combination that takes just minutes to throw together.
WHITE BEAN & ARTICHOKE SANDWICH FAQS
Exactly the same way you'd make a regular one! That said, one common mistake people make with plant-based sandwiches is forgetting to add protein. This is so important because it will keep you full throughout the day and makes your sandwich much more satisfying. Some great vegan protein sources are tofu, beans, tempeh, seitan and mushrooms.
(And if you're looking for even more inspo, the Vegan Society has a great list of easy sandwich and wrap ideas.)
If you don't have a food processor, you can use a blender but you may need to be a little more patient, scraping the jug sides down as you blend.
There are several ways! You can make it as a wrap, using a collard leaf to hold the spread and other veggies. Or you could use this spread to top salads and other savoury dishes - it's really versatile and works well as a protein source for any meal.
MORE QUICK VEGAN LUNCH IDEAS
White Bean & Artichoke Vegan Sandwich (gluten-free)
White Bean & Artichoke Spread
- 1 small stick celery, roughly chopped
- 4 artichoke hearts (this is just under the amount you'd typically get in a 398ml tin)
- 1¼ cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained if from a tin (a little less than a 398ml tin)
- 1½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- ½-1 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
To Serve (optional)
- Slices of your favourite bread (use gluten-free if needed)
- Slices of tomato
- Salad leaves
- Thinly sliced purple cabbage or red cabbage sauerkraut
- Grated carrot
- Add all spread ingredients to a food processor (or blender, see note) and pulse until the mixture is well combined but not totally smooth - a little bit of texture is fine!
- Spread between slices of bread, with salad leaves, tomato, cabbage and grated carrot for extra flavour and crunch.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!