This pumpkin spice latte recipe is easy to make and better for you than the store-bought version. Plus, it only contains 5 ingredients!
It's that time of year when pumpkin is springing up everywhere. Pies, lattes, soups, risottos - you name it, us food bloggers are creating a recipe for it.
I didn't grow up eating a lot of pumpkin dishes, but I must admit as an adult I'm a big fan. It's such a versatile ingredient and adds such sweetness and flavour to any recipe!
And there's no autumn recipe more popular than a pumpkin spice latte! Sweet, creamy and lightly spiced, it's a delicious warming drink that's perfect as the weather gets cooler.
Easy to make, and with the option to add coffee or not, this homemade pumpkin spice latte is one recipe you'll want to make again and again!
5 Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Latte - The Recipe
Like the Starbucks version but healthier (and lower in sugar), this drink is utterly delicious, However, unlike the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte, this version is made from only nourishing ingredients.
Just pumpkin puree, spices, maple syrup and plant milk go into this warming drink. The coffee is totally optional, and you don't need to add it to the drink if you don't want to.
I love to top mine with coconut whipped cream as it adds extra creaminess and a dash of pumpkin spice for flavour, but this is totally optional.
Pumpkin Spice Latte FAQs
1) Why is pumpkin spice latte so popular?
Great question. Pumpkin and warming spices are just a really great flavour combination, and when you add creamy milk, you've got the perfect sweet treat. People love pumpkin-flavoured anything when it comes to Fall, and I think this, combined with Starbucks creating a pumpkin spice latte that has amassed a cult following means it will be around for a long time to come!
2) Can pumpkin spice latte be made dairy-free?
Totally! You can easily make this drink dairy-free by using your favourite plant milk instead of dairy (almond, oat or soy work well) and topping it with coconut whipped cream instead of dairy if you wish. This recipe is naturally dairy-free as it is.
3) How do you make pumpkin spice latte from scratch?
Very easily! Just mix pumpkin puree with spices, your sweetener of choice, plant milk and coffee (if using). Heat them gently et voila! That's it. Follow my simple recipe below to get the best results.
5-Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Latte (vegan)
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ tsp pumpkin spice mix (or make your own with this DIY Pumpkin Spice Blend recipe)
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ cups almond, coconut or oat milk
- 1-2 shots espresso (optional, skip this for a caffeine-free version)
To decorate - optional
- Store-bought or homemade coconut whipped cream
- Add the maple syrup and milk and continue to heat, stirring frequently, until warmed and well mixed (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add coffee/espresso if using, and stir to combine.
- For an extra creamy version of this latte, I recommend using coconut milk as it's a bit thicker than regular plant milk.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!