These Easy Beet & Black Bean Burgers are made with 13 ingredients and take just 30 minutes to make. They're vegan, dairy-free and completely gluten-free too.
I love burgers. I don't make them often at home, but when I'm in a restaurant or getting takeout they're usually my go-to order. There's nothing better than a delicious burger stuffed with all the fixings and accompanied by crispy fries.
That said, I often get frustrated that a lot of restaurant and commercially available burgers are made from meat substitutes like soy and wheat gluten. Delicious as these are, I thought I'd set about making my own vegan burger from naturally gluten-free, whole food ingredients only, and this is the result!
Taking only 30 minutes to make from scratch and using just 13 simple ingredients, these Easy Beet & Black Bean Burgers are ones you'll want to make again and again as they're family-friendly and perfect for any burger night!
Using simple ingredients like grated beet, black beans, sweetcorn, flaxseed and herbs, they have a whole lot of flavour and goodness without any filler ingredients. They're my new favourite go-to recipe for when I'm craving comfort food!
These burgers are juicy, savoury, loaded with healthy ingredients and completely satisfying. I recommend eating them in sourdough buns stuffed with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts and red cabbage sauerkraut, and slathered with Garlic Vegan Mayo. The mayo just gives them that extra level of deliciousness!
Easy Beet & Black Bean Burgers - Tips
These burgers are pretty easy to make and you can't really go too far wrong, but here are my top tips for making them:
- Chop the onion as finely as possible to avoid getting large chunks of it in the burger patties.
- You don't have to use fresh thyme in this recipe. If you don't have any, try using dried, or another herb altogether if you prefer!
- Make sure you leave the flaxseed and water to thicken for the recommended 10 minutes. (A question I get asked a lot is how to bind vegan burgers and baked goods. Many people think that because we can't use eggs, our burgers (and baking) will fall apart. Not true! Ground flaxseed is the perfect egg replacement, and when mixed with water, it works like a charm. Minimalist Baker has a great video on how to make a flax egg if you're looking for a more in-depth tutorial.)
Easy Beet & Black Bean Burgers (vegan, gluten-free)
For the burgers
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1½ cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ a medium onion (very finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 small beet/beetroot, grated (about 1 heaped cup)
- ½ cup sweetcorn
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp tamari or Bragg's Soy Seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Avocado or grapeseed oil for frying
- 4 burger buns (gluten-free if required)
- Vegan mayonnaise (see my quick recipe for vegan garlic mayo here)
- 3-4 Lettuce leaves, shredded
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- Microgreens or sprouts (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseed with 2 tbsp water. Stir to combine and set aside to thicken for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash the black beans by hand until they are broken down.
- Add the flaxseed and all other burger ingredients except salt, pepper and oil to the bowl, and mix with your hands to combine. Check the taste and season with salt and pepper if needed (I found I needed to add quite a bit of salt, even with the tamari).
- Divide the mixture into 4 balls, and shape these into burger patties.
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side until browned.
- Serve immediately on your favourite burger buns with vegan mayo, lettuce leaves, tomato slices and microgreens (optional). Enjoy!
Looking for a tasty side dish to serve with these Easy Beet & Black Bean Burgers? For pure indulgence, why not try my delicious Herby Duchess Potatoes?
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I love to know how you’ve made these recipes your own!