Perfect as a nourishing vegan breakfast, this turmeric oatmeal is warming, lightly spiced and so healthy. Refined sugar free.
Is there anything better than warm oatmeal or porridge on a chilly morning? It might just be my favourite vegan breakfast, and I LOVE breakfast.
I've recently started making it with turmeric, ginger and cinnamon and it's the most comforting, spiced bowl of goodness that I've had in a long time!
Plus, it's really easy to make, so ideal when you only have a few minutes to spend making a healthy breakfast.
Top it with berries, your favourite fruits and seeds for an energy-boosting start to the day.
GOLDEN TURMERIC OATMEAL - RECIPE NOTES
There's not much to this recipe - it's very easy and almost impossible to get wrong!
One thing I love to do to make my oatmeal extra creamy is to soak my oats overnight before cooking. I simply cover them in water, then the next morning I drain and rinse them in a sieve before adding them to a saucepan with my favourite milk and spices.
I find that not only does this improve the texture, but it also helps me digest the oats way better. It's different for everyone, but I highly recommend trying it if oats give you any digestive issues!
MORE OAT BREAKFAST RECIPES
Of course! Just be aware that using steel cut oats may mean the oatmeal takes a little longer to cook, as they're a bit more solid than regular rolled oats. You might also find that soaking steel cut oats is helpful (see my note on soaking above).
Yes, but it's not that strong. I find using just ¼ teaspoon of turmeric gives the oatmeal a nice warming flavour, but not so much that it's overpowering. Feel free to use less though if that's still too much for you.
Many! I'm not a nutritionist so can't speak to this specifically, but turmeric is well known as an anti-inflammatory. You can find more information on its many health benefits here.
Black pepper is known to help with absorption of turmeric, that's why I've added a pinch to this recipe!
Golden Turmeric Oatmeal (vegan, gluten free)
- ½ cup rolled oats (use gluten free if needed)
- 1¼ cups your favourite plant milk (I like almond or oat)
- ¼ teaspoon powdered turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
- Pinch black pepper
- Maple syrup or date paste to taste
- Add all ingredients except sweetener to a pan and gently bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat until just simmering, and continue to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the mixture has thickened.
- Add your favourite sweetener to taste, and pour the oatmeal into a bowl.
- Add your favourite toppings (I like berries, mango and seeds) and enjoy!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!