These Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos with refried beans are colourful, protein-packed and taste incredible. Plus, they're really easy to make.
Summer wouldn't be complete without a delicious vegan taco recipe, and what better filling than sweet potatoes?
My partner and I came across the inspiration for this recipe when we visited one of our favourite restaurants in Vancouver, Bandida's. They have a delicious taco that's filled with roasted sweet potatoes, red cabbage and pinto beans, and it's SO good.
One night, when making tacos at home we tried to recreate some of the magic. Having previously made tacos with a combination of beans, vegan cheese, veggies and salsa, they were good but something was always missing.
On a whim we decided to roast an old sweet potato that needed using and BAM! our tacos were instantly transformed from average to incredible. I don't know what it is about this humble little ingredient but let me promise you, you won't regret trying this recipe.
Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos - The Recipe
One of my favourite things about this recipe is just how simple it is. Once the fillings are assembled there's really very little to do. It's a nice family recipe too as everyone can pitch in and make their own (though be prepared for the mess!).
One thing to note here: I strongly recommend using refried beans and not regular as they are already seasoned. If you use regular beans your tacos will taste a lot plainer. Feel free to use any type of refried beans though, as it doesn't really matter which you use. I like pinto beans myself, but black beans are also great.
For vegan cheese, I personally really like Daiya mozzarella shreds. (Not sponsored at all, I just haven't found another brand that has such a good savoury flavour in tacos!) If you're not a fan, you could also omit the cheese, as it's totally optional.
Tips for making Tacos
1) Always wrap your corn tortillas in a towel once heated and while you're waiting to use them! This will keep them soft and pliable, and avoid them becoming tough and brittle.
2) Prepare all your fillings ahead of time (even the sweet potatoes - it doesn't matter if they cool a little), so the last thing you do is heat your tortillas. Doing this last means they'll have minimal time to cool down and get tough.
3) Don't overfill your tacos! Tempting as it is to cram loads of EVERY ingredient into each one, always put in less filling than you think you need. Your mouth and hands will thank you and your taco will be much easier to eat!
Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos (vegan & gf)
For the Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato/yam (about 12oz or 350g), cut roughly into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
For the Tacos
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- 1¼ cups refried beans
- ⅔ cup your favourite salsa
- ⅔ cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- ½ cup red cabbage sauerkraut (or just thinly sliced red cabbage if you don't have it)
- 1 cup sliced avocado or guacamole
- ½ cup sweetcorn kernels
- Small handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- lime wedges
To make the roasted sweet potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 400°F/205°C.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in the coconut oil and chili powder and spread across a large baking tray. Season to taste with sea salt.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping once midway through. When cooked, removed from the oven and set aside.
To assemble the tacos
- Prepare all filling ingredients as described above.
- Heat each corn tortilla as per package instructions (usually: heat in a hot skillet on the stove for approx. 15 seconds per side, then wrap in a towel to keep warm and flexible).
- Fill each tortilla with the sweet potato, refried beans, salsa, vegan cheese (if using), sauerkraut, avocado and sweetcorn. Sprinkle over the chopped cilantro.
- Serve the tacos nudged up close to each other on plates. Drizzle lime juice over them just before serving and enjoy!
If you’ve tried this pizza crust recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!