Try this Savoury Vegan Oatmeal for a twist on your usual porridge. Made with beans, salsa and avocado, it's protein-packed to keep you full!
I know how much we all love porridge or oatmeal.
It's so convenient, so versatile, so cosy. Nothing quite makes you feel comforted like a big bowl of oatmeal with warm fruit, nuts and maple syrup. But have you ever tried making it savoury?
I got into a bit of a funk with my breakfasts lately and was looking for new dishes to try. I love sweet porridge as much as a the next person, but sometimes I crave a savoury breakfast. So I began to wonder if it was possible to create a delicious-tasting savoury vegan oatmeal?
And the answer is a resounding YES! I was inspired to create a Mexican-style oatmeal bowl, as the ingredients pair so well together and naturally make a meal rich in protein and healthy fats (from the beans and avocado).
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS SAVOURY VEGAN OATMEAL
Fast - This savoury oatmeal bowl is ideal for breakfast because it's so fast to prepare - there is very little cooking required, aside from for the oatmeal itself. Most of the toppings are already prepared and just require spooning into the bowl, then it's ready to eat!
Nutritious - That said, it's still a really nutritious meal. You're getting several portions of veg as well as the afore-mentioned protein and healthy fats to keep you fuelled for the day ahead.
Energizing - And of course, this breakfast contains Nature's Path Old Fashioned Organic Whole Grain Rolled Oats, which will keep you energized all morning. (Incidentally, these might be the fastest-cooking oats I've ever used - the porridge cooked in less than 5 minutes when I was testing it!)
I've topped this dish with Que Pasa's tortilla chips and salsa to make it extra satisfying and tasty. The salsa really helps to add a rich, tangy flavour in contrast to the oatmeal, and the tortilla chips are perfect for spooning up big bites of it!
I don't use many processed ingredients in my recipes, but both Que Pasa's salsas and tortilla chips are simple enough in their ingredients that I feel like they're a great addition to this dish. Plus, their products are organic and non-GMO (and of course vegan), makes me happy.
MORE EASY VEGAN BREAKFASTS
Savoury Vegan Oatmeal (gluten-free)
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup Nature's Path Old Fashioned Organic Whole Grain Rolled Oats (To make this recipe completely gluten-free, making sure you're using certified gluten-free rolled oats)
- 1¼ teaspoon taco seasoning (or you can make your own using chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, onion & garlic powder)
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 1¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk or cream (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Que Pasa Mild Mexicana Salsa
- Heaped ¼ cup refried or regular pinto beans
- ½ an avocado, sliced
- Handful Que Pasa Salted Corn Tortilla Chips
- ¼ cup cooked sweetcorn
- Cilantro sprigs
- Lime wedges
- In a medium saucepan on a medium-low heat, gently heat the olive oil and sauté the crushed garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the oats, taco seasoning, lime juice, water and coconut milk (if using).
- Reduce the heat slightly and let the mixture simmer for 6-7 minutes stirring regularly, until the porridge has noticeably thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Serve the oatmeal in a wide bowl, topped with salsa, beans, avocado, tortilla chips and sweetcorn. Add cilantro sprigs and lime wedges if you wish for an extra flourish.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!