Your breakfast favourite with a twist! Smashed chickpeas make this vegan Avocado Toast recipe high in plant protein and extra filling. Gluten free option too.
I was late to the party with avocado toast. For the longest time I didn't get what all the fuss was about, then one day when I was in a rush and needed a quick breakfast - BAM! - it hit me.
The combination of crunchy sourdough toast and creamy, tangy avocado is a match made in heaven and I've never looked back since.
My only complaint about avocado toast is that it isn't that high in protein as a meal. As someone who definitely feels it when she doesn't have protein in her meals (I get yawny and crave snacks much sooner), I needed to figure out a way to solve that ASAP!
And solve it I have, with lightly seasoned smashed chickpeas. These versatile little legumes add protein and extra goodness to this already delicious meal, and I promise they don't overpower the avocado.
This high protein vegan recipe is quick, easy and delicious and I hope it helps you up your breakfast or lunch game like it has mine!
Check out my Story on how to make this recipe!
PROTEIN-PACKED AVOCADO TOAST - NOTES
Gluten free option - Any bread works well here, but personally I love using good quality sourdough as I find it has a great taste that really compliments the avocado.
If you need gluten free and you're based in Canada, I personally like Alkeme Sourdough Breads.
More is more - You can't really go wrong with this recipe, just make sure to use plenty of avocado! I've suggested using half a large fruit for two slices of toast, but feel free to use more if needed - trust me, it's better to use slightly too much than not enough!
MORE HIGH PROTEIN BREAKFAST RECIPES
Avocado contains some protein itself, but it's the chickpeas in this particular recipe that provide protein, making the meal extra filling.
Of course! Personally I really like chickpeas because I find they go 'flaky' when mashed unlike other beans, but feel free to use whatever you have.
I love that they add a burst of nutrients to any meal, and they really lend a pop of colour to the toast. It makes it look extra appetizing! You can also try adding red cabbage sauerkraut for a pop of colour and flavour.
Check out my Reel showing you how to make Protein Packed Avocado Toast!
Protein-Packed Avocado Toast (vegan)
- 2 slices bread (gluten free if needed)
- ½ large avocado (use a whole avocado if yours aren't large)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup chickpeas (rinsed & drained)
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Sprouts, microgreens or radish slices to garnish
- Toast slices of bread.
- While bread is toasting, combine avocado flesh and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Mash with a fork or hands until almost smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, mash chickpeas (this is definitely easiest using hands!) until flaky. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spread avocado mixture over toast slices, and top with smashed chickpeas.
- Decorate with sprouts, microgreens or radish slices and serve!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!
Follow Vancouver with Love on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook!
Leave a Reply