This week’s recipe is a quick one, but a good one! Much as I love spending a lot of time in the kitchen playing with different ingredients and coming up with new concoctions, sometimes it’s the simplest recipes that do the trick.
These 3 Ingredient Oatmeal Waffles do just that: chewy, satisfying and delicious, they’re the ultimate comfort food without all the rubbish thrown in. Made simply from oats, bananas and plant-based milk (plus any extras you wish to add), they’re a great option for breakfasts or just as a snack. You could even add your favourite plant-based protein powder to the mix to make them extra-filling!
Don’t have a waffle iron? No problem. This mixture works perfectly as waffles or pancakes, so feel free to pour it into a frying pan and make some thick pancakes instead.
3 Ingredient Oatmeal Waffles (vegan + gf)
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 medium bananas (about 1 cup total)
- ¾ cup your favourite plant-based milk
- (Coconut or grapeseed oil to grease waffle iron)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (for sweetness)
- Powdered cinnamon
- Vanilla essence
To serve (optional)
- Coconut Cream – see DIY recipe below
- Maple syrup
- Banana Slices
- Fresh berries
- Cacao nibs
- Nut butters and nuts
- Switch your waffle iron on and allow it to reach cooking temperature.
- Blend the oats in a high power blender for 20 seconds until a flour forms.
- Add in the banana and milk (and any other optional add-ins you like) and blend for another 20 seconds on high, until the mixture is smooth and lump-free. The mixture should be quite thick at this point.
- Using kitchen towel, coat all cooking surface of the waffle iron to help avoid sticking.
- Spoon half the mixture evenly into the iron, ensuring it spreads evenly across the bottom surface. Close the lid and leave to cook for 7 minutes (until the steam coming out reduces).
- Open the iron, and leave for 20 seconds before gently removing the waffle with a flat knife.
- Repeat the process for the second waffle, and store the first on a plate in a warm oven until ready to eat.
- Top the oatmeal waffles with maple syrup, coconut cream, bananas, berries, cacao and/or cinnamon, or get creative and use your own favourite toppings. Enjoy!