Looking for the perfect broccoli side dish? This Roasted Broccoli with Sesame & Garlic is simple to make, naturally vegan and gluten-free!
I love a good broccoli recipe. It's such an underrated and underused vegetable in my opinion, when really it's so versatile.
Broccoli is also delicious when cooked in the right way. And this, in my humble opinion, is definitely one of the right ways.
Broccoli tends to taste flavourless when it's overcooked, and in this recipe for Roasted Broccoli with Sesame & Garlic it's cooked for just the right amount of time. It's all about roasting until the broccoli is vibrant in colour. When it gets to that stage, stop cooking!
Add a delicious marinade to the mix and you've got some fine-tasting broccoli. Sesame and broccoli go really well together, so here I've combined fresh broccolini with toasted sesame oil and crunchy sesame seeds.
It's delicious as a side dish to almost any meal, but it's particularly good with my Vegan Shepherd's Pie, Stuffed Pumpkin or my Classic Vegan Nut Roast. Or you could just eat it on its own to get an extra portion of veggies into your day!
ROASTED BROCCOLI WITH SESAME & GARLIC - INGREDIENT NOTE
Broccolini - For this Roasted Broccoli with Sesame & Garlic recipe I've used broccolini (or tenderstem broccoli as my British friends will know it). I love the long, tender stems of this vegetable and its succulent taste. It also cooks a little quicker than regular broccoli.
It's like it was made for roasting, and I highly recommend using it if it's available. You can absolutely use normal broccoli for this recipe instead but just be aware that it might take longer to cook and will taste a bit different (see cooking note below recipe).
If taste and presentation are important to you, my advice would be to plump for the broccolini!
LOVE EATING YOUR GREENS?
Why not try my Nutrient-Rich Nettle Soup or my Asparagus, Spinach & Walnut Risotto?
Roasted Broccoli with Sesame & Garlic (vegan & gluten-free)
- 1 bunch broccolini (about 2½ cups regular broccoli)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon Braggs or tamari (soy sauce)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400°F/205°C.
- Trim the ends off your broccolini stalks and slice any particularly large pieces in half lengthways. Place in a large bowl. (If using regular broccoli, cut into medium-sized florets.)
- In a small bowl, whisk ½ tablespoon of the sesame oil and the Braggs/tamari together.
- Pour this mixture over the broccolini and mix with your hands to make sure each stalk/floret is coated with it.
- Spread the broccolini out on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 8 minutes, until it is just starting to look vibrant.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the crushed garlic among the broccolini. Using a spatula, flip the stalks over to ensure even roasting.
- Roast for 2-3 more minutes in the oven until garlic is fragrant, then remove immediately to avoid over-cooking.
- Place the broccolini in a serving bowl, drizzle with the remaining toasted sesame oil and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!
Follow Vancouver with Love on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook!
Leave a Reply