This vegan stuffing recipe is gluten free, easy to make and totally mouthwatering. Perfect for your Christmas or Thanksgiving celebration.
It's Canadian Thanksgiving this week! And what better way to celebrate than with a vegan stuffing recipe? Better yet, a vegan gluten free stuffing recipe!
Stuffing was always one of my favourite parts of a celebration dinner as a child, and as an adult my passion for it hasn't waned.
There aren't a huge amount of gluten free vegan stuffing recipes in the world though, so I wanted to contribute mine with the hope that you'll find it just as delicious as it's traditional counterpart.
Made with simple ingredients such as gluten free bread (you can use regular if needed/preferred), fresh sage, celery and onion, this stuffing is savoury, crunchy and utterly delicious.
Easy Vegan Stuffing - A Note on Ingredients
My favourite thing about this recipe is that it can be made with gluten free or wheat breadcrumbs, with very similar results. So whatever your preference, you should end up with delicious stuffing no matter what! MY ONE TIP HERE IS TO MAKE SURE YOU USE A YEASTED/SOURDOUGH BREAD, AS THE YEAST HELPS HUGELY WITH THE SAVOURY FLAVOUR.
For the breadcrumbs, if you're making them yourself you ideally want the largest pieces to be about 1.5cm cubes. Pulsing slices of bread in a food processor should give you this, along with lots of smaller crumbs mixed in.
I also highly recommend tasting your stuffing before you put it in the oven, just to make sure you've seasoned it enough! The broth/stock does a good job of this, but it's always worth checking your flavourings while you can still do something about them!
Why should you make this vegan stuffing recipe?
1) It's completely gluten free (you can still use regular bread though if you need to).
2) It's savoury, herby, crunchy and satisfying, and provides the perfect side dish to any Thanksgiving, Christmas or celebration dinner!
3) It's egg-free, dairy-free and delicious! It surprises me how many homemade stuffing recipes use egg, when it's really not necessary. You don't need to worry about any of that with this recipe.
Easy Vegan Stuffing (gluten free)
- 2 tbsp olive or other unflavoured oil (like avocado)
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 1 small stick celery, diced finely
- ¾ cup fresh sage, leaves only, diced finely
- 5 cups breadcrumbs, gluten-free or regular, depending on preference (they should be course, and a little larger in texture) (If you don't have ready-made breadcrumbs, you can pulse about 6 slices of bread in a food processor for 30 seconds)
- ½ cup vegetable broth or stock (You want your broth quite strong, so if making it with powder use 1 tsp powder, if making it with a cube, use ½ a cube)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on a medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and celery for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the sage and sauté for just one minute more to soften. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the breadcrumbs, onion/celery/sage mixture, broth or stock, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a large ovenproof dish, cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until the top is browned and crispy.
- Remove and serve immediately as a side dish to your Thanksgiving, Christmas or celebration feast!
Looking for more Thanksgiving or Christmas recipes? You can find all my vegan Holiday recipes here.
If you’ve tried this vegan stuffing recipe, please leave a comment or tip for others below. I'd love to know how you’ve made it your own!